Dating minton porcelain when men pull away in dating
When Poulson died in 1808, Minton carried on alone, using Poulson's pottery for china until 1816. The products are more often referred to as "Minton", as in Minton china.Early Mintons products were mostly standard domestic tableware in blue transfer printed or painted earthenware, including the ever popular Willow pattern.Others introduced to Minton by Arnoux included the sculptor Albert-Ernest Carrier-Belleuse and the painter Antoine Boullemier.On his death Herbert Minton was succeeded by his equally dynamic nephew Colin Minton Campbell who took the company into a highly successful exploration of Chinese cloisonné enamels, Japanese lacquer and Turkish pottery.In 2009 the brand was bought by KPS Capital Partners of New York and became part of WWRD Holdings. The Minton company catalogue contains two sets of pattern books – the “works” copies and the “office” copies.By the 1980s Mintons was only producing a few different shapes but still employed highly skilled decorators.
In our highlighted record search you’ll find digitised pages from the earliest bone china patterns in Pattern Book No.1, from the most richly decorated patterns of the “H” series, from the temporary “X” patterns of the 1940s and from the many others in-between.In 1870 Mintons opened an art pottery studio in Kensington, London directed by William Stephen Coleman and encouraged both amateur and professional artists to become involved in pottery decoration and design.When the studio was destroyed by fire in 1875, it was not rebuilt.On his death, Minton was succeeded by his son Herbert Minton (1793–1858) who developed new production techniques and took the business into new fields, notably including decorative encaustic tile making, through his association with leading architects and designers including Augustus Pugin and, it is said, Prince Albert.Minton entered into partnership with Michael Hollins in 1845 and formed the tile making firm of Minton, Hollins & Company, which was at the forefront of a large newly developing market as suppliers of durable decorative finishes for walls and floors in churches, public buildings, grand palaces and simple domestic houses.It was further developed by Minton who employed John Bell, Hiram Powers and other famous sculptors to produce figures for reproduction.In 1849 Minton engaged a young French ceramic artist Léon Arnoux as art director and he remained with the Minton Company until 1892.The Victorian building which used to be the Minton Hollins tileworks is on a separate site from the former Minton pottery.It was threatened with demolition in the 1980s but was listed in 1986 and has been preserved.From the mid-1890s onwards, Mintons made major contributions to Art Nouveau ceramics with a fine range of slip-trailed majolica ware, many designed by Marc-Louis Solon's son Leon Solon and his colleague John Wadsworth.Leon Solon was hired by Mintons after his work was published in the hugely influential design magazine The Studio and he worked for the company from 1895–1905, including a brief stint as Art Director.